The Western Australia Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) was formed on 1 July 2017, as a result of merging the Department of Commerce and Department of Mines and Petroleum.
Its mission is to support a safe, fair and responsible future for the Western Australian community, industry and resources sector.
The Department was looking for a cloud-based solution (Software-as-a-Service) for procurement and contract management that would enable effective monitoring, reporting, oversight, and management to drive effective procurement and active contract management.
DMIRS creates approximately 1,000 purchase orders per annum and manages appox. 300 goods and services contracts. Each procurement type must be procured in accordance with purchasing policies applicable to WA Government agencies (buying rules). Western Australian Public Authorities are bound by the State Supply Commission Act 1991 for the purchase of goods and services.
The processes, templates and price thresholds applicable to procurement and contract management are governed by external agencies and are subject to change. As such, DMIRS required a PCMS with design flexibility that would allow modification of workflows when required, including making changes to processes applied to procurement/management of a contract, prices thresholds and approval pathways.
Nimblex designed and delivered a cloud-based PCMS solution, including the following functionality:
- Automated workflows based on employee data
- Initiation of procurement by buyers in individual business units
- Automated procurement workflows, based on procurement value and validation of the appropriate procurement process, documents and approvals
- Capturing of contract milestones and deliverables tracking the performance of contractual obligations, including the use of KPIs and performance monitoring
- Ability to manage and report on Contract Variations
- Ability to generate and create standard and custom reports
- Integration with DMIRS Procurement Delegation Schedule to import procurement delegations
- Ability to generate Oracle purchase orders via Oracle integration.
The solution delivered the following benefits to the DMIRS:
- Nimblex generates and pre-populates various Contract Templates, saving time and decreasing incomplete and incorrect fields
- The ability to create reports and export these to Excel
- Integration with Single Sign On, Oracle R12.2 and in-house HR and Financial Delegation systems
- Effective monitoring, reporting, oversight, and management to drive value for money procurement and active contract managemen
- Automated workflows, capturing approvals, providing task notifications, monitoring task completion and the capacity to automate the generation of Purchase Orders within their financial system (Oracle R12.2)
- Automated Contracts database replacing existing spreadsheets
- Streamlined, efficient processes that will improve processing times
- Greater ability to guide users through the procurement and contract management process
- Greater flexibility and control over process design and workflow to deliver continuous improvement
- Provide a framework within which contract management capability can be developed across DMIRS to achieve better service outcomes
- Reduced risk to procurement and contract management activities by consolidation into one system that will enable better control of total contract spend through enhanced reporting and processes